Intuitive Surgical Careers
Senior R&D Advanced Energy Engineer
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 182385
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary Function of Position:
Intuitive Surgical, Inc. produces the da Vinci® Surgical System, a minimally invasive robotic surgery system that uses highly complex mechanics, replaceable instruments and accessories, and enhanced three-dimensional visualization to extend surgical technique and precision beyond the limits of the human hand.
The Senior R&D Engineer will design and prototype innovative therapeutic systems and tools for treating different medical conditions including cancers. A successful candidate will have strong technical depth in key areas for therapeutic development, but also have breadth to support multiple different research projects and prototypes.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Develop prototype devices and systems for advanced energy therapy application
o Manage and work with external partners and vendorso Design and model electromagnetic deviceso Hand-on prototypingo Develop tests to verify performance of prototypes
• Support system prototyping needs across multiple projects in the research group
o Work closely with the research team to define the requirements for feasibility prototypeso Utilize existing systems and components to quickly prototype and de-risk key conceptso Build relevant test setups in order to aid development and investigation
• Generate IP and evaluate opportunities from a technical perspective
• Ability to work on multiple, early-stage projects simultaneously
• Masters or Ph.D. preferred in physics, electrical engineering, or related engineering field
• Minimum 2 years of medical device experience
• Experience with therapeutic energy modalities and thermal therapy, such as microwave and RF energy
• Electro-magnetic and thermal simulation and modelling preferred (ANSYS, COMSOL or the equivalent)
• General programming skills and familiarity with basic software analysis tools (e.g. Matlab, Python, etc.)
• Hands-on engineering with proven ability to work well in a team environment
• Ability to communicate effectively (written, oral) across all levels and organizations
• Ability to travel up to 10% time
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.