Intuitive Surgical Careers
VR Robotic Surgery Game Developer
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 182424
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary Function of Position:
Intuitive Surgical manufactures the da Vinci Simulator for use in the training of da Vinci surgical systems. The da Vinci is used in minimally-invasive surgical applications. Serious gaming plays an important role in the improvement of robot-assisted surgeon proficiency. The VR Robotic Surgery Game Developer position offers an opportunity for a candidate with exceptional software and virtual reality/video games engineering skills to develop novel VR robotic surgery serious gaming content to support the Simulator. A successful candidate will be equally comfortable developing simulation software interfaces to highly-complex robotic systems and instruments. The candidate should also be passionate about using video gaming and serious gaming to create engaging educational applications.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The candidate must have experience working in the graphics simulations area and be proficient in both 3D modeling and 3D rendering. The candidate will collaborate with world class software developers to produce complex, but robust software solutions. He or she must excel in a high-energy team environment, and be capable of owning and completing tasks with the time pressures typical of new product development.
Specific responsibilities for the VR Robotic Surgery Game Developerinclude:
• Work under the guidance of Training Technologies Applications Manager
• Develop, maintain and support new 3D serious gaming content
• Prototype new 3D serious games under the requirements set forth
• Take prototypes of 3D serious game content and turn them into production quality.
• Work with other engineers to prototype new gaming technologies and ideas
• Understand the da Vinci Robotics Platform streaming API’s and be able to consume streaming data inside our rendering engines.
• Develop software adhering to the ISI coding standards and good software development practices (unit testability, source code control, etc.)
• VR Robotic Surgery Game Developers have responsibility for ensuring that medical device designs meet product quality requirements and comply with the design control processes in the Quality Management System, as appropriate
• Execute systematic and aggressive evidence based troubleshooting techniques
• Develop algorithms to track performance metrics within the virtual environment
• Bachelors or Master’s degree in Software Engineering or Computer Science preferred or relevant working experience in a similar discipline• Minimum 5 years industry experience in developing software in the Unity framework• Strong working knowledge in one of the following low-level 3D API’s: OpenGL, Direct3D, X3D.• Good working knowledge in a 3D modeling software package such as: AutoCAD, Anim8tor, Blender, Maya, Autodesk 3ds Max.• Strong C# programming experience• Strong Python programming experience• Experience as a key player developing software on a development team.• Demonstrated ability to systematically troubleshoot and debug complex software applications.• Familiarity with version control and standard software engineering development• Demonstrated excellent verbal and written communication skills.• Strong interest in developing virtual reality content to meet specific training objectives• An interest in the medical applications of robotics, with the ability to view surgical procedures and medical images.• Ability to learn rapidly, driving to creative – yet practical – solutions from rough requirements.• The ability to excel within a high-energy, small, focused team environment, maintain a strong sense of shared responsibility and shared reward, and to make work fun and interesting.• Ability to travel up to 10% of time• Ability to carry objects up to 50 lbs.
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.