Intuitive Surgical Careers
Manufacturing Engineer, Electrical
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 182431
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.Overview:
Intuitive Surgical manufactures complex robotics systems in Sunnyvale, CA. This position requires an extremely motivated individual with high capacity to learn, analyze and drive technical problems to closure in the manufacturing environment. It requires both proactive mindset to build a strong technical understanding of the product/processes, and a high level of urgency to react to unplanned problems when they arise. Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary function of this position:
You will be responsible for supporting the assembly, calibration and testing of production released robotic systems, with a focus on electrical components and embedded SW. You will perform regular analysis of factory data and use it to anticipate and solve manufacturing/quality problems. Deliver improvements in yield, reliability, serviceability, manufacturability, testability, capacity and cost, primarily for electrical and electo-mechanical sub-assemblies. Interface with cross-functional engineering teams including electrical, mechanical and software disciplines. This position is highly collaborative, and strong communication/presentation skills will provide you with high visibility amongst the engineering, production and management teams.
What you will do:
• Take ownership of test processes and test equipment for manufactured and purchased products from production phase through end-of-life.Qualifications
• Creation and maintenance of efficient “mid-volume” manufacturing line, specifying and/or refining BOMs, assembly and test processes and detailed work instructions.
• Provides training and support to production and engineering technicians.
• Qualify/document/implement/support production and RMA-line test equipment, at both ISI factory and vendor facilities. Propose equipment design changes as appropriate.
• Support PCA vendors, contract manufacturers and internal personnel for PCA component and process/outsourcing initiatives. Travel to vendor sites as required.
• Provide technical support, including multi-level failure analysis for discrepant parts and assemblies. Drive to root cause and follow-up corrective action.
• Takes responsibility for maintaining compliance with medical device quality system including corrective action closure, discrepant material dispositions and change implementations.
• Knowledge and execution of Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP).
• Leads and participates in initiatives focused on yield improvement, material cost reduction, capacity enhancement, and outsourcing of assemblies.
• Must possess strong communication skills to interface with technicians, production management, product development, planning, purchasing, regulatory, inspection, customer support and clinical marketing organizations.
• Performs other duties as required.
What skills and experience you will need:
Competency Requirements: (based on: education, training, skills and experience)
• Candidate must be of high character and energy with focused attention to detail.• BS degree in Computer Engineering/Science, Electrical Engineering, or equivalent with five years of relevant experience (or three years of relevant experience with an MS degree).• Demonstrated ability to work with computers, electronics, and standard software applications (Excel, Powerpoint, Word, etc.)• Ability to read and interpret electronic schematics, assembly and fabrication drawings.• “Self-starter” attitude and comfort in a hands-on environment, where he/she can demonstrate an ability to work with other engineers to influence product design to improve reliability.• Troubleshooting mind set - an ability to systematically and effectively break down a system or process into subparts to identify failures and troubleshoot to component level.• Excellent documentation skills and ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing across all levels of the organization.• A genuine excitement to learn and get to the bottom of problems.
• MS degree in Electrical Engineering discipline.• Prior experience working in an FDA/ISO regulated environment.• Prior experience as design or manufacturing engineer supporting product with significant Printed Circuit Assembly (PCA) content.• Prior experience with Documentation and production control systems: Agile, SAP, MES• Prior experience in understanding/reading test code: Matlab, Labwindows, Python• Prior experience in understanding/reading PCA schematic, layout: Orcad, Allegro• Demonstrated ability to effectively design experiments, solve problems and implement them in manufacturing• Prior supplier quality responsibility.• Understanding of complex PCA design processes and tools• Understanding of supplier manufacturing and test processes for complex PCAs/PCBs• Experience in Just-In-Time, Demand Flow Technology, and Lean Manufacturing techniques.
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.