Intuitive Surgical Careers
Senior Product Manager, Stapling
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 182496
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary Function of Position:
The Senior Product Manager, da Vinci Stapling, is responsible for the upstream product management and strategic marketing of future da Vinci Stapling products. This cross-functional position will work closely with internal and global teams to execute the existing roadmap, identify and validate unmet customer needs, develop design solutions, navigate the design control and commercialization processes, and influence the long-term product roadmap. Key partners for this role will be the product development teams, Project Management Office (PMO), regulatory, manufacturing, and global marketing.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Qualifications• Be the Voice of the Customer to development teams through procedural knowledge and deeply understanding the jobs the customer needs to perform.• Lead projects through the design process including discovering and validating opportunities, developing market and product requirements, designing solution(s), and facilitating tradeoff discussions with design teams while balancing the needs of the customer and the business case.• Plan and execute qualitative and quantitative market research, manage focus groups, and complete case observations / prototype evaluations. Distill data, effectively communicate findings and integrate into the franchise roadmap or product development.• Integrate business insights into broad marketing strategies and plans; contribute to budget, resource and financial planning.• Work cooperatively with product development teams (Engineering, Interaction Design, Human Factors, etc.), PMO, regulatory, manufacturing and product marketing teams on implementing the franchise roadmap.• Clearly define and maintain marketing and product requirements, draft instructions for use, and establish marketing claims (e.g. pre-clinical, economic) strategies for new products.• Recruit new and existing key opinion leaders (KOL) to engage for product development.• Collaboratively develop global product commercialization plans for new products and smoothly transition to downstream and regional marketing teams.• Lead business review gates to ensure alignment across the organization.• Construct a product brand or category framework in order to competitively position, message product value, and drive market adoption.• Develop and maintain procedural knowledge and KOL relationships by attending cases, providing product demonstrations to hospital executives or surgeons, and collaborating with clinical marketing.• Present marketing strategies, including but not limited to, new product market segmentation and development / launch updates, to sales and corporate leadership via executive presentations, podium presentations and review boards.• Attend key tradeshows, conferences, and symposia to conduct market research and assist with product demonstrations and new product unveiling opportunities.• Maintain awareness of market or competitive developments and impact to franchise roadmap and strategy. If necessary, develop third party industry relationships to augment franchise roadmap needs.• Cultivate a mentorship or teaching environment to develop upstream skillsets in colleagues.
• Minimum 12 years of professional experience and a Bachelor’s degree required. MBA or advanced degree is preferred. Technical background (e.g. engineering, design, etc.) preferred.
• Minimum 4 years of experience as a Product Manager required with a history of defining and launching successful products in a medical device company.
• Minimum 4 years of surgical stapling experience required.
• Surgical and/or Operating Theatre (Room) experience required.
• Proven ability to work collaboratively with cross-functional teams.
• Proven ability to lead a strategic initiative from concept to completion.
• Demonstrated ability to work creatively, prioritize, and smoothly manage goals and initiatives amidst competing priorities.
• Self-starter with ability to take a leadership function in a high-growth, fast-paced environment.
• Superior verbal and written communication, teamwork, and interpersonal skills across multiple constituents.
• Agility to pivot focus to meet evolving business demands.
• Strong knowledge of the Microsoft Office product suite.
• Ability to travel up to 30%, globally, depending upon current business needs.
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.