Intuitive Surgical Careers
R&D Software Engineer
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 182638
Intuitive Surgical: What MattersJoining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary Function of Position:
Intuitive Surgical, Inc. produces the da Vinci® Surgical System, a minimally invasive robotic surgery system that uses highly complex mechanics, replaceable instruments and accessories, and enhanced three-dimensional visualization to extend surgical technique and precision beyond the limits of the human hand.
The Senior Software Engineer will design and prototype innovative medical robotics systems. A successful candidates will have significant experience in working with all algorithm, software, and hardware aspects of complex electro-mechanical devices, but also have breadth to support different research projects and prototypes.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Work with a cross functional team to develop new systems, software, and algorithms
o Define software requirements for projectso Perform software integration of new prototypes and new productso Control and integration of external OEM deviceso User interface developmento Development of research prototypes used to evaluate new product conceptso Develop tests to verify performance of prototypes
• Generate IP and evaluate opportunities from a technical perspectiveQualifications
• Evaluate technical feasibility of new opportunities
• MS or PhD in CS, EE, or related fields and 5 years of industry experience
• Experience with designing software products in an FDA or other regulated industry or for mission critical applications is desired; comfort with concepts of design input, design output, traceability, and risk analysis
• Strong embedded and applications programming skills and experience. Hands-on experience with C, C++, and Matlab is highly desirable. Experience with Windows and Linux platforms preferred.
• Hands-on engineering with proven ability to work well in a team environment
• Ability to communicate effectively (written, oral) across all levels and organizations
• Ability to work on multiple, early-stage projects simultaneously
• Experience in hardware design is a strong plus
• Experience with SW verification testing and test development
• Demonstrated ability to systematically troubleshoot and debug complex systems.
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.