Intuitive Surgical Careers
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 182651
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.
Primary Function of Position:
We are seeking a Mechanical Engineer to join the Advanced Product Development (APD) research and development team at Intuitive Surgical. As a Mechanical Engineer, you will work with a group of talented and dedicated people to help invent the future of computer-augmented robotic surgery.
The successful candidate will contribute broadly to the APD group, with focused contributions on new robotic arm hardware, instruments, and accessories while addressing performance, cost, and reliability requirements. You will complete the development, documentation, and verification of these new designs and carry them from concept to product release and use in the field. You will bring both the technical depth to resolve complex mechanical, materials and manufacturing design issues and the ability to work in an interdisciplinary team to troubleshoot to root cause higher level system issues.
The successful candidate must excel in a high-energy small focused team environment, be able to drive to solutions from rough requirements, and have a commitment to high product quality. Quick learning and a desire to understand requirements and create solutions are essential to become a valuable integrator and system developer. A strong sense of shared responsibility and shared reward is required, as is the ability to make work fun and interesting. Supporting you will be a development and management team that knows and cares about what you are doing, and works to ensure your success.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Create, document, implement, test, and help develop detailed software designs to support the development of new product concepts and prototypes, as part of a cross-functional advanced development team• Complete early stage research and proof-of-concept work to establish technical feasibility and clinical value. This includes seeking out solutions to subtle and challenging problems in system integration, as well as rapid iterations of prototype development and evaluation• Design and develop fixturing to aid in testing and/or assembly of instruments• Perform tests, critically analyze results and make design changes or recommendations to the design team• Investigate and determine root cause of emerging design, manufacturing or material defects• Establish individual goals consistent with overall project goals• Provide support for pre-clinical and clinical labs
• BS in Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science, Physics, or related engineering discipline required.
• Familiarity with all phases of the product development lifecycle including the human-centered design approach, implementation, debug, verification, qualification, and transfer to manufacturing.
• A strong foundation in mechanical engineering first principles and core mechanical engineering moving-mechanism design and optimization is a must.
• Proficiency using CAD to design and document mechanisms; SolidWorks preferred.
• Understanding of engineering materials, component selection criteria, and design for reliability and manufacturability. Broad knowledge of component manufacturing processes.
• Ability to prepare and release precise and thorough medical device documentation such as design specifications, protocols, and test reports. Candidate should feel comfortable with concepts of design input, design output, traceability, and risk analysis.
• Hands-on engineering with ability to work well in a team environment.
• Demonstrated excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to clearly present to larger groups.
• An interest in the medical applications of robotics, with the ability to view surgical procedures and medical images.
• Solid intellectual property management practices.
• Ability to travel up to 10% of your time.
• A passion for delivering a quality and innovative product that will improve millions of people’s lives!
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.