Intuitive Surgical Careers
Embedded Software Engineer
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 182657
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary Function of Position:
Work with an incredibly talented team to design and build the embedded software platform and feature set for next-generation surgical robotic systems. The successful candidate must excel in a high-energy small team environment, be able to drive to solutions from rough requirements, and have a commitment to high product quality. A strong sense of shared responsibility and shared reward is required.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Work on a cross functional team to develop technical specifications and evaluate design trade-offs – specifically in the area of platform/infrastructure software
• Design and development of product-focused, rock-solid, C++ software in a heterogeneous, multi-processor SoC/FPGA/real-time-embedded environment
• Develop software for embedded Linux/QNX devices:
o Customize and productize embedded operating system distributionso Create drivers that interface with custom FPGA deviceso Design and implement multi-threaded, distributed system C++ applications
• Contribute broadly to many areas of software development, including but not limited to:
o Extension of current frameworks to new processors and operating systemso Development of research prototypes used to evaluate new product conceptso Distributed communication subsystem development
• Work with electrical engineers to bring up new, custom hardwareQualifications
• Passionate about developing cross-platform, object-oriented C++ code
• Experience developing for embedded Linux devices
• Strong ability to isolate and debug embedded hardware and software problems
• Experience working on product-focused designs in a team environment
• Excellent communication skills
• A desire to deliver a quality and innovative product that improves many people’s lives
• Minimum, 0-5 years industry experience developing and supporting embedded systems
• Bachelors or Masters degree in Software or Computer Engineering
• Experience with additional embedded operating systems, such as QNX• Knowledge of Python• Understanding of commonly used messaging and RPC frameworks and their associated tradeoffs for use in distributed embedded systems• Demonstrated experience in and comfort with all phases of the product development lifecycle including design, implementation, debug, verification, validation, and transfer to manufacturing• Experience designing software products in an FDA or other regulated industry or for mission critical applications; comfortable with concepts of design input, design output, traceability, risk analysis, and mitigations
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.