Intuitive Surgical Careers
Senior Embedded Software Engineer
Primary Location: United States-North Carolina-US-NC-Raleigh
Requisition ID: 182751
Who is Intuitive Surgical? The numbers tell an amazing story. Learn more about our company.
The Sr. Embedded Software Engineer will work with a group of talented and dedicated people to improve and extend Intuitive’s surgical robotic product lines. The successful candidate will contribute broadly to the Software System Group, with focused contribution on embedded software for da Vinci™ Surgical System products. As a senior member of the team, you will be involved in designing and delivering features to the surgical customer by integrating complex functionality into complete surgical robot solutions, and seeing these through to product release as well as resolving issues after release if necessary. The successful candidate must excel in a high-energy small focused team environment, be able to drive to solutions from rough requirements, and have a commitment to high product quality. Quick learning and a desire to understand requirements and create solutions are. A strong sense of shared responsibility and shared reward is required, as is the ability to make work fun and interesting. Supporting you will be a development and management team that knows and cares about what you are doing, and wants you to succeed.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Work on a cross-functional team to design, develop and verify embedded software in da Vinci™ Surgical System products.
• Create, document, implement, unit test, and help develop detailed software designs in an exciting and sophisticated robotic system
• Perform formal risk analysis and develop software mitigations
• Contribute to multiple areas of software development for our distributed multi-processor systems, including but not limited to the following areas:
o Video and/or servo hardware control and monitoringo Inter-processor communication subsystem developmento Extension of current processing frameworks to new processors and hardware designso System diagnostic and service application development on Windows PCso User interface developmento Control and integration of external OEM deviceso Development of research prototypes used to evaluate new product concepts
• Document according to Intuitive’s development guidelines
• SW Design Engineers have responsibility for ensuring that medical device designs meet product quality requirements and for compliance to the design control processes in the Quality Management System
• Contribute to the definition and specification of future designs
• Support root cause analysis and issue resolution for released products and products in production.
• Bachelors degree required with Masters degree preferred in Software, Electrical, or Computer Engineering
• Minimum 8 years industry experience in developing and supporting embedded systems
• Comprehensive knowledge of C and C++.
• Experience with real-time, multi-tasking, embedded operating systems or other embedded real-time processing frameworks – experience with embedded Linux is particularly valuable
• Strong ability to isolate and debug embedded hardware and software problems
• Experience working on product-focused designs
• Demonstrated experience in and comfortable with all phases of the product development lifecycle including design, implementation, debug, verification, validation, and transfer to Manufacturing
• Experience with designing software products in an FDA or other regulated industry or for mission critical applications is desired; comfort with concepts of design input, design output, traceability, and risk analysis
• Hands-on engineering experience with proven ability to work well in a team environment
• Excellent communication and documentation skills
• Interest in the medical applications of robotics
• A real excitement to learn and get to the bottom of tough technical problems
• A desire to deliver a quality and innovative product that improves many people’s lives
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.