Intuitive Surgical Careers
Research Intern – Medical Image Analysis / Machine Learning
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 182839
Intuitive Surgical: What Matters
Joining Intuitive Surgical, Inc. means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Must be concurrently enrolled and returning to an academic program in the fall in an accredited degree-seeking program.
Primary Function of Position:
The candidate will work with a top-notch multi-disciplinary R&D team to develop surgical planning software on a new robotic surgical platform (video).
We are seeking a talented individual to develop robust algorithms to segment key anatomical structures from 3d volumetric images, in a fully automatic and semi-automatic fashion. Machine learning/deep learning based methods are especially interesting due to its great success. We have datasets with ground-truth for both training and validation. Expected contributions include literature survey, algorithm design and implementation, testing on a large dataset with ground truth.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Experiment with different machine learning models
• Develop prototype and evaluate on evaluation datasets
• Draft report and presentation
Skills, Experience, Education, & Training:
• A passion for developing technologies to improve the lives of hundreds of thousands of people.
• Self-motivated, self-disciplined and ability to work independently.
• Ability to perform fast prototyping and testing iterations and thinking outside the box to solve practical problems.
• Advanced MS or PhD student in the area of Medical Image Analysis, Machine Learning or Computer Vision.
• Solid knowledge and/or experience in one or more of the following areas is highly desired: 1) image segmentation, 3) machine learning / deep learning, 4) computer vision.
• Proficiency with Python and/or C++ to produce quick prototype and high quality code.
• Familiarity with standard medical image libraries and/or machine/deep learning packages.
• Applying knowledge/skill to make some real world impact
• Gain hands-on experience on using Deep Learning on 3d medical image segmentation
• Gain experience of R&D in a product focused company
• Exposure to the discipline of project planning and management
Commitment: Must be available to work full-time hours, M-F for 10-12 weeks beginning Summer of 2019.
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.