Intuitive Surgical Careers
Mechanical Engineer II – Manufacturing Equipment
Primary Location: United States-California-US-CA-Sunnyvale
Requisition ID: 182971
Intuitive Surgical: What Matters
Joining Intuitive Surgical means joining a team dedicated to using technology to benefit patients by improving surgical efficacy and decreasing surgical invasiveness, with patient safety as our highest priority.
Primary Function of Position:
Design and construct pioneering manufacturing and test equipment used to produce minimally invasive medical devices. This manufacturing and test equipment will range in complexity from custom manual fixtures to semi-automated electro-mechanical systems, integrating workholding, sensing, motion and vision control. This position will play a critical role in developing cutting edge manufacturing capabilities to enable the future of minimally invasive surgery.
The ideal candidate should have a good understanding of basic mechanics and machine design. He/she will work closely with senior level equipment staff and assist in developing custom equipment from design to sustained production use. This person will thrive working independently on projects with low to mid-complexity.
Roles & Responsibilities:
• Assist in the evaluation of optimal methods and equipment architecture to perform critical manufacturing operations.
• Design, build, and implement in-house manufacturing and test equipment.
• Document the equipment requirements, specifications, design, and operation in compliance with Good Manufacturing Processes (GMP).
• Perform qualification and validation on manufacturing equipment to fulfill company and government requirements.
• Identify and improve equipment issues and improve overall product quality
• Determine preventive maintenance and calibration procedures.
• Improve product quality and reliability using Cpk, Gauge R&R, and similar quality tools.
• Provide equipment-related technical support to on-going production operations.
• Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or similar.
• Self-motivated, flexible, creative, works well with others in a supportive team environment.
• Minimum 3 years’ experience designing and developing manufacturing equipment.
• 3D CAD proficiency, SolidWorks preferred.
• Experience in integration of mechatronics components such as sensors, motors, and motion and vision control components.
• Strong understanding of process control, tolerance analysis, and statistical methods.
• Familiarity with regulated Quality Systems, esp. medical device regulations, a plus.
We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with fair chance laws.